LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Friday, May 11, 2007

Update

I’ve gotten use to entering BGs manually, so I’m only mildly annoyed now by the fact that I can’t use the BD Link meter as it was intended to be used.

In fact, I like the slimmer ParaPump so much more than my fat ‘ol CoZmo, that I’d say it was a fair trade on that basis alone.

Now that I’m in control of the calibration sticks the CGM is purring like a kitten. Finger sticks are so close to the readout on ParaPump that it is plum scary. Most of the time the finger sticks are with in 5-10 BG points of the SG (sensor glucose); except for during times of rapid hypos.

The MedT infusion sets are doing a great job too. My BG swings have settled down unbelievably. When I’m careful about what I eat, I can live days “between the lines.” Nuthin below 85 and nuthin above 200. Of course that assumes the Devil (or my sweet loving boss) doesn’t tempt me with brownies. Or mini Twix bars. Or home-made lemon cake, Danish wedding cookies, tootsie pops, dried pineapple, doughnuts, or….. well, you get the idea.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bernard said...

I found the BD meter useless in every way, including in obtaining data from the pump.

I'm surprised that MiniMed hasn't informed users how they're going to replace this very weak link in the data chain.

Does this mean you can't get any of the CGM data from the system?

5:06 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

If you don't mind entering bg's manually, and you want a slimmer pump, why not take the cozmonitor off the cozmo? I don't use my cozmonitor, and my friend has a paradigm, and my pump is very similar in size.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Tommy and I have a different BD complaint. We have just reordered the BD strips from the new supplier and they come in a gigantic cannister. They don't fit in any of his kits.

Hey, word from our MMrep is that the new sensors won't need to be kept in your refrig anymore. More space in the refrig. for ???

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home