LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Desperate times

From the very start, it wasn’t your typical stick-up. First off, the robber didn’t wave his gun in the clerk’s face, shout, or make threats. He merely lifted his shirt to show the gun in his waist band and then did the most unusual thing. The stick-up man apologized to the clerk and asked for $40 from the cash register.

What kind of robber asks for a specific amount? One with a specific need, that’s who.

The Fort Smith, Arkansas, E-Z Mart clerk was either drunk, stoned, or braver than me; as he told the stick-up man the money in the register wasn’t his to give. That’s then the robber fessed up. He is one of us. He needed the $40 for insulin.

Can you imagine needing your insulin so badly that you’ll rob an E-Z Mart?

I can.

The clerk, who deserves to go straight to heaven in my book, took out his own wallet and gave the robber $40. They shook hands and the robber thanked the clerk and left; now not only chronically ill, but a fugitive from the law as well.

What do you suppose an E-Z Mart clerk in Arkansas makes per hour? $40 was a big chunk of the clerk’s paycheck that day.

An E-Z Mart clerk did the right thing. It is time for the federal government to do the same.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Yeah, I heard that story too. I feel for the guy. Bravo to the store clerk for doing what he did. It could have turned out so much worse.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

Makes me hope he is not caught. I am not sure what options he has. Wouldn't a hospital help him with charity care?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jonah said...

So who reported the robbery? And was it a robbery?

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

Wow. As a Brit I sometimes look at the US health system with envy (you get appointments within days??!!)but I can't envy a system where people resort to that kind of desperation for pretty basic life support. I blogged about this recently at http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/05/why-im-a-fan-of-the-nhs/

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Tony said...

wow...what a story.
You see what people can do, and feel they need to do
In the name of health!!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home