LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Being a good sport

We interrupt our regularly scheduled program because my dear friend Kerri of SixUntilMe just tagged me. OK, I’ll be a good sport and play the blog game. She has tagged me to post five random facts about myself. OK, here we go:

Random Fact One: I’m a high school drop out. I was once asked by a civic leader to talk to local high school kids about the importance of staying in school. Ummmmm....maybe I’m not the right guy for the job.....I quit school in my senior year, took my GED about a month later and never looked back. I never regretted it, and it never slowed me down or proved a disadvantage in any way. But I’m probably not your typical high school drop out either.

Random Fact Two: I have two college degrees. Yes, despite of being a HS drop out, I did later go to college. My first degree is an Associate of Applied Science in Aviation Technology. I have a commercial pilot’s license to go with that. Of course big D took that away, but it was not too great a loss. Flying is too expensive for a hobby, and I wasn’t doing it for a living. Once my BG settles down, if I want to go through 2,000 pounds of paper work I’m told that I can get my Private Pilot privileges back. Maybe Medtronic can sponsor me flying around the country with my Guardian. Wouldn’t that be a hoot? My second degree is a combined Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology with a minor in Criminalistics. I graduated Summa Cum Laude after doing the entire major and minor in three semesters. Not too bad for a high school drop out.

Random Fact Three: I’ve been married three times. Twice to the same woman. My first wife was whats-her-name. We were both young flight students. It was a crash and burn situation from the start and didn’t last long. My second and third wives are Debbie who I’m crazy about enough to marry again. The first time we were married, as they say here, “by the law.” A number of years later (we can’t remember how many, her mother is the expert on this date) we were married by the Church.

Random Fact Four: I have four tattoos. This always surprises people, as I am told I look so respectable. I guess respectable people aren’t supposed to have tattoos? I suppose not. The oldest, well they are all old, is on my left upper arm. Red and black. Biker kinda thing. You know, a winged skull. There are two on my left forearm that make up a single design. They are both black, well greenish now as they are so old. The bottom one is a badge. The top one is a Native American type motif to turn the badge into a work of art. Oddly the top tattoo was done by a woman in California who took one look at the original and recognized the handiwork of the Colorado artist who had made it. The fourth one is on my chest and is a mystical design. It drives my niece crazy ’cause she’s never seen it and I won’t tell her what it is. My tattoo advice to my son: get what ever you want, but have a skilled artist do it and make sure it can’t be seen if you are wearing a suit. You never know when you might need to get a bank loan.

Random Fact Five: I own five computers. I have a lap top at the house. I use it for evening surfing and it goes with me to doctor’s appointments. I keep all my pump downloads and the like on it. At the shop I have four more. One is our administrative computer, one is for digital imaging, one runs our film scanner, and the last one runs the digital enlarger. Weird having more computers than staff, but I guess that’s the way of the world.

Now who do I tag? I’m thinking that Scott and Melissa need to get off their duffs and start posting again: Tag you guys, you’re “it.”

Scott‘s Diabetes Journal
Melissa‘s How‘s the DB?

Tomorrow, back to Guardian Stuff.

4 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Hi Wil -
Thanks for all your detail on the Guardian system - I check your site every day! I have just joined the new frontier of continous monitoring via a study. I linked to your page from mine because I think you do a great job of describing all the issues, which are pretty similar to what I'm seeing. Keep up the good work!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

OK readers, you need to go to Val's site at http://drjekyllandmrslow.blogspot.com/ (formal link to take place later today). She'll tease you with a sketch of the combined pump/Guardain. She also has a couple of features I've been thirsting for...but go read for yourself! Thanks, Val!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Thanks for being a good sport.

I will wait patiently for the tattoo pictures.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

MELLISA! Wonderful to hear from you, I was getting worried. Sorry to hear you were sick, glad all is better!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home