LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Day planner Disaster

6am: alarm goes off. Become ambulatory with great effort. Not a morning person by nature or nurture. Bush teeth. Shave. Shower. Change infusion set and pump battery. Dress, turn on coffee pot, quick breakfast.

7am: depart for work.

8pm: arrive at clinic. Hectic work day. 30 minutes for lunch. The rest of the day a frantic, but interesting blur.

6pm: leave work.

Drive to Sam's club for one little thing. Hmmmmm.....gas in Santa Fe only $3.04 a gallon. Whatthefuck did I just say? They've got me so numb to high gas prices that I'm actually thinking three bucks a gallon is a deal. At one end of my commute it is $3.14 and at the other $3.19

One little thing at Sam’s turns into $98.97, of course.

Rendezvous with Deb and Rio for dinner. Slow but fun. Depart Santa Fe at 9:30 pm. Rain slows down the trip home. We've been so desperately dry I don't care.

11pm: arrive home. Make coffee, lay-out clothes, weigh breakfast cereal for tomorrow. Find stuff for sensor change.

11:30pm: Deb and Rio arrive home, bringing the rain with them. In tennis shoes and underwear, carrying umbrella, I dash out to rescue the sleeping child. Strong wind leaves me soaked to skin and wakes up said child.

Midnight: collapse into bed.

FOOT CRAMPS!!!!!!!!! Charley-horse level pain. Every toe and the entire top of foot. Rubbing no help. Take calcium, vitamin E, valium, and Advil. No luck. I end up standing on toes, head leaning against wall.

12:3am: back to bed.

3am: woken by crying child. Hot. Needs water.

3:15am: return to bed

6am: alarm goes off. Become ambulatory with great effort. Not a morning person by nature or nurture...........

Sorry I haven't been posting. 40 hours a week at clinic. 30 hours per week at lab. Not much time at the moment...But I promise to carve out a few minutes soon!


Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh man! Ouch!

No worries on the posting thing man! Post what you can when you can, and don't even give it a spare brain cell any other time.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home