Without further rambling:
THREE NAMES YOU GO BY:
2. Lee (short for Liam, which is short for William).
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. My eyes—blue.
2. My beard—same as Dad’s.
3. My chest hair—now seriously salt and pepper.
THREE PHYSICAL THINGS YOU DON’T LIKE ABOUT YOURSELF:
1. My spaghetti arms.
2. My nose.
3. Well, hell, I can’t think of anything else. Even the nose was a stretch. I guess I’m pretty much content with the way God made me, crappy pancreas and all.
THREE PARTS OF YOUR HERITAGE:
THREE THINGS THAT SCARE YOU:
1. That my son might get hurt by nature (we have mountain lions, rattle snakes, scorpions, and last night I killed two monster centipedes in the house—one an eight-incher).
2. That my son might get hurt by people (a lot of sicko’s out there).
3. That I might get even poorer (our income is at 10% of what it was 8 years ago—yeah, you read that right; we’ve lost 90% of our income).
THREE OF YOUR EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS:
1. My “Go-Bag” with all the back-up pump stuff and ER sugar. The bag itself has varied over the years, but has generally been some sort of camera bag. Currently it is a National Geographic Earth Explorer bag. Very macho in a globe-trotting photojournalist kind of way.
2. A camera (which one depends on what I’m doing). Generally a Nikon FM3 with a pancake lens loaded with B&W film.
3. A wood-handled folding razor knife with belt clip. Lives inside my right pants pocket, clipped to the side closest to the seam. You’d be amazed how many boxes I end up opening in a week.
THREE THINGS YOU ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW:
1. Insulin pump (and not the one you think I’m wearing, more on that next week).
2. Torn blue jeans (lab day, bound to spill something on them anyway).
3. Film Preservation Society T-Shirt.
THREE OF YOUR FAVOURITE MUSICALS:
1. Jesus Christ Superstar.
3. The King and I.
THREE OF YOUR (current) FAVOUITE SONGS:
1. The entire soundtrack from Last of the Mohicans.
2. “Home” from Marc Broussard’s Carencro album, one of the best pieces of music ever, ever, ever done; although I really don’t care for the rest of the CD.
3. “Orange Crush” by REM.
THREE THINGS YOU WANT IN A RELATIONSHIP:
1. Intelligent conversation.
3. Sense of Adventure.
THREE THINGS THAT YOU FIND ATTRACTIVE:
1. My little son’s adorable face (a clone of his mother’s, with her eyes too).
2. The panoramic sunsets from my back porch, an un-obstructed view of the horizon for as far as the eye can see.
3. Anything made of stainless steel.
THREE OF YOUR FAVOURITE HOBBIES:
1. Diabetes (seriously, my patients who embrace this disease as a challenging and interesting hobby do better).
2. Hiking with the little one (I’ve been a bit of a slacker on this, time to get back out there!).
3. Well, that sucks. I guess I really don’t have any hobbies. No time.
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO REALLY BADLY RIGHT NOW:
1. I want to pay off all my debts (not going to happen).
2. Be intimate with my wife, who is totally not interested since Rio was born.
3. Fly a twin-engine airplane again. Or a helicopter, which I’ve only done once.
THREE CAREERS YOU’RE CONSIDERING:
1. President (hey, we really need a new one).
But seriously I’m not considering anything. I’ve already got three careers right now: diabetes educator, photographer, lab owner. In the past I’ve also been: successful business owner, un-successful business owner, commercial pilot, newspaper photographer, law enforcement consultant, radio DJ, security guard, paper-boy, and fish-tank cleaning technician (my first job).
THREE PLACES YOU WANT TO GO ON VACATION:
1. Any where over-seas.
2. Any major, exciting city. (Hey, we live in the kind of “relaxing” place most people go on vacation, I need some adrenaline! Give me museums, art, culture, a pizza at 3 a.m.!)
3. Space. As in outer-space.
THREE KIDS NAMES YOU LIKE:
1. Rio (my pride and joy!).
2. Morgan (his older sister who we lost before she was born).
3. Diego (son of friends, also a star of a Nickelodeon cartoon).
THREE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE:
1. Win a Pulitzer Prize for Photography (yeah, not too likely now that I’m no longer in the news biz, but a guy can always dream).
2. See a tornado (hopefully without it being the very last thing before I die).
3. Hold a grand-baby in my arms.
THREE WAYS THAT YOU ARE STEREOTYPICALLY A BOY:
1. I love gadgets.
2. It doesn’t bother me to eat desert first.
3. I don’t use hair-care products (other than shampoo, and I don’t care what brand so long as it does not smell like flowers).
THREE WAYS THAT YOU ARE STEREOTYPICALLY A CHICK:
1. I have no interest in cars, or working on them. I’m not even sure I know how to open the hood of my Honda Accord.
2. I’m affectionate, I’m not embarrassed to tell me wife I love her, even in front of the “guys” or co-workers.
3. Crude remarks by other men always shock me. My brain just doesn’t process crude.
4. Most of my friends are women, I like clothes, I like to shop.
5. I hug, cuddle, kiss, and wrestle with my kid.
6. I like art, museums, and plays. Even an opera now and again.
7. I NEVER watch sports.
8. Well crap. I guess I’m an honorary “chick.”
THREE CELEB CRUSHES:
1. Too old to crush, but Katherine Zeta Jones is pretty hot.
2. So is Halle Berry.
3. And so is Nicole Kidman in an elfin, other-worldly ethereal way.