LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Almost good enough for an artificial pancreas


I don’t think I told you yet, but I touched the future this summer. I held it in my hands. Stroked its buttons. A gem-like CGM prototype that’s absolutely frickin’ amazing. How amazing? Well, let me detour for a moment into (gasp!) math so you can understand. Don’t panic, it’s more math vocabulary, than math. I want you to meet my friend, MARD.

MARD stands for Mean Absolute Relative Difference. Crudely put, when it comes to Continuous Glucose Monitors, MARD is the difference between what blood sugar really is and what the CGM thinks it is. So basically, it’s a measurement of how accurate any CGM system is.

How accurate does a CGM need to be? It depends on what you want to do with it. CGM wiz Dr. Howard Zisser told me a while back “Give me a MARD of 10% and I’ll give you an artificial pancreas.” So that’s our bench mark. 10% gives you what your heart desires most. Short of a cure.

The jewel I touched, held, fondled, worshipped (and was tempted to steal) this summer had a MARD of 13%. Not good enough for an artificial pancreas, but damn fucking good. Better than most test strips, actually.

And when will we eventually see this wonder of new technology?

Well, how does next week sound to you?


Or maybe the week after next. But it’s here. It’s FDA approved. It’s shipping soon.

Want to know more about it? Want to know all about it? Stay tuned for an in-depth day-by-day month-long review of the latest and greatest CGM like only LifeAfterDx can bring you. The Dexcom G-4 Platinum review is coming soon to a computer screen near you. (Right. That would be the one right in front of your face.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Laddie said...

I've already ordered my upgrade in pink. I look forward to your month-long review of it. I hope the Gen4 is great and your experience does not burst my bubble of excitement.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Carol said...

Oh yes, I want to know more and can't wait until the display is on the pump! I've tried the "other" brand and have discovered that yes, I'm greedy. I want accuracy, ease of callibration, reasonable sensor life, and one screen shopping. C'mon FDA!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Oooh! Can't wait to hear your thoughts about it! Very exciting!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Thank you so much Wil! My T1 daughter, now 10, just started on the Dex about a week ago, then this happened. Dexcom is upgrading her for FREE and sending it out in early November to us.
I love your reviews - so don't hold back (I know you won't!). I am so excited about this piece of technology for our kiddos. I believe it's life-changing.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Ordered mine in blue, and looking forward to it. I'd played with one last year and this year, to look at the design and screens. I'm impressed, and the better accuracy will make it worth paying the $399 upgrade myself.

Can't wait to read more about it from you.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the MARD of Medtronics enlite sensor and of Abbots navigator?

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home