LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A good day

What's my blood sugar, you ask? I don't know. Let me check. Click. 139. I just love doing that! No finger stick. No fumbling with meters and cases. No waiting at all, just one simple click of a button and I know what my blood sugar is. This is soooooo cool.

I had a real good day at the shop today. I spent almost the entire day working on 16x20 inch fibre prints for a customer in Amman, Jordan. Fibre paper has to be tray processed by hand, the old fashioned way. You work bathed in yellow-gold safelight, about as bright as the full moon. Water flows, gurgles, burbles...hydraulic acoustics that sooth the soul. I've got Bach playing. One-by-one in the developer tray the images slowly form. First the paper is white, then as the developer slides across the surface of the print the blacks begin to appear. Dull gray at first, then darker, darker. Blacks taking shape, grays and whites begin to reveal themselves. Over three minutes the blank sheet becomes a stunning, vibrant, rich photograph. I’ve been doing this since I was a kid, but it is a magic process that I never tire of watching.

You're probably saying, "Damn it, Printcrafter, shut-up and get on with telling us about the Guardian!" Well, there is a point here. Fibre printing takes a lot of concentration. It is very hard, exacting work that requires attention to detail. For the last six weeks I've hated doing it. Too many worries on my mind.

But today I didn't have to worry about my blood sugar. That is so important, I'm going to say it again. Today I didn't have to worry about my blood sugar. The Guardian is worrying about it for me. If it goes too high she‘ll tell me. If it goes too low she'll tell me. So today I could focus my mind on my work, not on my diabetes. What a gift!

I wanted to give you a preview of upcoming posts. I'm going to be playing around with the software and the computer dock in the next few days. I'm also going to take you through a complete site change. I want to talk more about the transmitter, and what it is like wearing it. I want to talk to you about what it is like wearing both a pump and a Guardian. I want to tell you how the Guardian tracks my insulin and my carbs. I want to show you how you can customize it. So much to tell!

Not to worry, we‘ll get through all of it. I’m taking a trip to Denver to visit my Mom this weekend, so I’ll have reports on traveling with it too.

Well, gotta go for now. A darkroom timer is beeping at me. Time to take prints out of the washer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home