LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Monsters


Beep. Beep. Beep.


"What's that noise, Daddy?" Just something on TV, baby.


Beep. Beep. Beep.


"It sounds like somebody drinking something." Sounds like a back-hoe or some other large truck backing up to me. "Don't worry about it, Rio." I'm trying to get to bed.


Beep. Beep. Beep.


"I think it is a monster or something." There are no monsters here, Rio.


Beep. Beep. Beep.


Slide into bed. Wait a cotton pickin minute. Where's the Guardian?


Beep. Beep. Beep.


Oh shit.....


Beep. Beep. Beep.


I have left her on the kitchen table when I checked my two-hour post evening snack (and Rio made sugar cookie repair bolus). I went back to posting and left it there. What an idiot! For three weeks she’s never been out of reach. I even remember to snag her off of the night stand when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. But today, I just walked out of the kitchen and left her lying there. Oh well, thank God it wasn’t at a restaurant!


She's lost telemetry, and calibration. She's been calling for help for half and hour. Quick search to link up again. A re-calibration and by the time I'm done writing this....Click....191. We are back in operation! Be sure to tell Daddy right away the next time you hear the monster!

3 Comments:

Blogger Wil said...

Ellen--this alarm won't go off until the system has missed three "reports" from the transmitter. So if you momnentarly walk away it doesn't go crazy. But I guess that would let you leave it at a resturant....

Any of the alarms can be slienced by pressing the SEL key followed by the ACT key.

RE:Talkfest, you're welcome. I had fun at the live chat last night.

9:14 AM  
Blogger HVS said...

Sorry I missed your talkfest last night. Sounded interesting..

3:22 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

Gina has invited me to come back in about six weeks. I'll give you all aheads up when the date is set.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home