LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Support your global pharmaceutical ;-)

Well I’m doing my part to help those poor starving pharmaceutical companies this morning. I used not one, not two, but three Smith&Nephew IV3000 dressings this morning. Good grief, as Charlie Brown used to say.

A quick re-cap, I’m having a growing problem with a rash on my stomach. Some sort of reaction to the adhesives. The plan is to have a bottom layer of IV3000, which does not seem to give me any trouble, and stack all else on top. Of course the next problem is size. I always think of the IV3000 as a HUGE dressing. But it really isn’t. They are 2 3/8 inches by 2 3/4 inches. I couldn’t fit the whole array onto one. Rumor has it they come in larger sizes, and I’ll need to research that later. For the time being, I cut a hole in the middle of one of them with a razor knife (couldn’t find the $%&#@ hole punch) for the sensor to pass through then slapped it on my body.

Damn. Forgot to use the Alcohol swab again. Oh well, one of the Medtronic suggestions was to skip the alcohol. They thought it might be drying my skin out too much, and then covering the dry skin with a bandage for three days could be adding fuel to the fire, as it were. I was too embarrassed to admit that I’ve forgotten the alcohol fully half the time.... Well I hook up fresh out of the shower so I guess that helps....

Sensor insertion stung today. Unexpected surprise. Nice way to start the day. Not.

But I did get it lined up right, and sent the needle straight through the center of the little window that I cut in the IV3000 for it. Then I put another bandage down for the transmitter. I had worried that the IV3000 wouldn’t hold the weight of the transmitter, but so far so good. I think it’s going to be fine.

Monitor on, set to search. Plug the transmitter in. Success. We have a link. The initialization begins. Then IV3000 number three goes on top of the sensor/transmitter link. Not exactly a fashion statement, but doesn’t look as bad as you’d think. Of course it is exactly 9 degrees Fahrenheit out this morning, so my stomach will be well hidden from the world under many warm layers of clothing anyway.

Printcrafter’s stock tip of the day: buy Smith&Nephew.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kerri. said...

I feel like I'm supporting the pharaceutical services solely via my own insane purchasing habits. I am very curious about the pump/CGMS hybruid slated for next year because I'm testing upwards of 15 times per day now, and have been for over three years. It may be a good financial move for me to use a CGMS.

That, and my fingertips are so calloused that I mistakenly rested them against a hot pan last night and didn't realize it until the callous on my thumb had essentially burnt off. Both surprising and gross.

Bring on the deductible!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

E--I'll check into that, thanks!

K--That's why God gave you two thumbs, didn't you know?

For pumpers like us there is no doubt at all that a combo Guardian/pump would be a great way to go. Hopefully we will see it in a year like Medtronic says. Of course the 800 pound gorillia in the corner is the FDA...

Maybe Medtronic can get me an early version for review here at LifeAfterDx. Wouldn't that be great for everyone involved?

Anybody at Medtronic listening?

10:01 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

Just pictured an 800 lb gorilla standing in my office at work.

That's a startling mental image, that is.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home