LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, December 04, 2005

What's the Buzz? Tell me what's happening!

Something on my belt is buzzing. I'm wearing two coats, and I'm driving so I'm seat-belted in. At the next stop light I fumble with the zipper on the outer coat. Tick-tock. The damn thing's gonna turn green at any minute. How perverse, hoping for a long red light. I get the zipper down. Next the buttons on the coat underneath. Buzz. Buzz. Can't get the buttons with the gloves on. Pull one glove off using my teeth. Oh hell, a green light.

I make my turn and navigate into the parking lot of a deceased grocery store. It was originally a Safeway. But they pulled out of New Mexico years ago. Then it was a Furrs, until Wal-Mart killed them. Then, briefly, an AIG. The building has been sitting empty for a couple of years now, victim of a sluggish economy. Buzz. Buzz.

Probably the pump, not the Guardian. I've set the Guardian to both vibrate and make a racket. But with two coats on, maybe I wouldn't hear the Guardian's alarm. I wear both on my left side, so I can't be sure which one is trying to get my attention. Why on earth am I wearing two coats, you ask? I'm wearing two coats because we've just left the Electric Light Parade, and it’s cold out tonight.

I get the second coat open slip my arm under the seat belt and fumble for the pump. It vibrates in my hand. Ah ha! At that very second the air-raid siren goes off and my belt buzzes again. High Glucose alarm on the Guardian. Both the children are squawking for my attention at the same time. How weird. Pump telling me it's been two hours since dinner, and Guardian telling me I've just topped 200 BG. Too much of that yummy Spanish Rice at Estella's Cafe on Bridge Street, no doubt.

“Daddy, is your seat belt on?” asks the seat belt police from the back seat. Correction, all three children squawking....

3 Comments:

Blogger HVS said...

Cool blog, Will.
Gotta love it when everything goes off at once..
At least you weren't talking on your cellphone.

12:50 PM  
Blogger skytor said...

ahh, I can't wait to get my hands on a system that can warn me when I go over 200...

4:16 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

T-1emt--If I had remembered to bring it with me, I'm sure it would have!

Skytor--you'll love it!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home