LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Input needed from fellow bloggers

OK, I admit it. I'm a blogging virgin. There are about a half dozen blogs that I check everyday; I love them and I feel that I really know some of these cyber-friends even though I've never spoken or written to most of them. In the past I haven't usually left comments. Now that I'm blogging, however, I may have to change that. I LOVE reading the comments. It is so nice to know that I'm not writing in the dark! It's nice to know that the posts aren't too long after all! (A worry I had, someone told me that blog entries are supposed to be short...)

Anyway, here is my problem. I need advice on Blog Etiquette. I see that sometimes readers ask me questions on the comments. How do I respond? Do I post an answer in the same comments section? If I do, do the readers know to check back for an answer? Is there any way to get the blog software to alert me when there is comment posted, or do I just need to check?

Last question, probably one with no real answer....what is the "normal" visitor count for a typical blog?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kerri. said...

Hey Printcrafter. Here's what I've got for you.

You can respond to questions in your comments right in the comments section, if you want. Or, if a query hits you particularly, write a whole post about your answer. Readers probably return to read your answers. That's what I do.

There is an option in Blogger in the dashboard section. Go to the "settings" tab, click the "comments" link and scroll down to "comment notification address." By putting an email address here, you will receive an email notification every time someone leaves a comment. It's a nice option.

And I have no idea what the normal visitor count is for a blog. But I do know that there are a lot more readers than there are commenters, so don't assume "0 comments" means 0 readers.

Keep up the admirable work, PC.

-- Kerri.

10:06 AM  
Blogger David said...

William, I've been blogging for about a year now and have picked up some great strategies for this type of thing.

1. Be active in your own comments! This is your online home so don't be shy.

2. If someone posts something that would benefit your wider audience, then you can write a new post, quote the comment, and give your response. For example:

"I wrote about the [link]annoying beep[/link] yesterday. John D. responded with a great suggestion: 'You know, Wil, that beep saved your ass so learn to love it!' Good point."

3. Make sure you refer readers to the older post so they can follow along! You can also add a comment to the old post pointing them to the new one.

4. A third option is to just edit your post and add something to the top like this:

UPDATE: John pointed out this great site in the comments.

5. There really is no right or wrong way. You have really engaging and helpful commentary, so I'd give you an A+.

6. As far as traffic goes, there's really no right or wrong answer. If you have good subject matter (and you do), people will link to you. Eventually those links will increase your recognition in search engines and you'll get a flood of traffic to specific entries. It can take 1-8 months to get fully listed in Google, so be patient.

7. Your best traffic is those from other blogs and news sites. Keep building online relationships and you'll find it increases day by day. Be active in the D.O.C. (diabetes online community) and you'll be rewarded with links galore.

Meanwhile, stop by and visit Elizabeth and I at diabetesdaily.com. We're dedicated LifeAfterDx readers!

10:13 AM  
Blogger David said...

P.S. For a new blog, averaging 100 visitors a day is really awesome.

The biggest blog on the internet, DailyKos, gets 500,000 visitors a day. BUT, if you had 2,500 a day, you'd be in the top 250. So 100 is a great start. :)

You can see traffic figures for political blogs here:
http://www.truthlaidbear.com/TrafficRanking.php?start=1

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home