LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Sen-serter

So this morning was site change, and once again I've forgotten to clean my skin with alcohol before inserting the sensor. What is my malfunction here? I've forgotten to do that about half the times I've put a sensor it. I never forget to use IV prep on my infusion set target...

Well, I'm not going to take it out and start over, that's for sure.

So as promised, here is a photo of the sensor inserter.


The hole on the bottom is for the sensor hub, not the needle. You slip the hub into the hole, and the guide needle handle rests in the grove.



Don't panic, in this photo the needle cover is still on...the needle isn't THAT big.


She's cocked and ready to fire!


Boy, this glue they use is wicked! I highly recommend you get some Medtronic "Detachol" to clean your skin off after you remove a set. I've got some on order, but it has not arrived yet and I'm running out of adhesive-free skin on my stomach. Looks like tree rings! I've scrubbed until my skin turns red, but no luck. This stuff just doesn’t want to come off. I guess it has to be heavy duty to hold the transmitter securely for three days, but this is ridiculous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home