LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Monday, September 24, 2007

Me and my pen

I’m a walking billboard for Lilly Pharmaceuticals. Don’t you think they should pay me? Or at least give me free insulin until the cure?



Yep, I’m really liking my new pen. And the juice in it. More on the juice in a minute. Let’s focus on the delivery device first. A while back I reported that I was being driven crazy by the necessity of spinning the dial 360 and pulling out the base to set the dose. Sometime after that, I realized that there is a raised section on both the barrel and the dial. You can do the spin-and-pull in the dark, at the bottom of a 300 foot coal mine, at midnight, during a lunar eclipse. Although, hopefully you’ll never need to.

I find that I’m pulling the cap, unsheathing the needle, and doing the spin-pull thing in auto pilot while I’m making up my mind about how much insulin to take. Reader’s Digest Version: it’s no big deal in the end. I’m totally use to it and it doesn’t bug me or slow me down in the least.

The pen is much smoother in its action than it’s Novo counterpart. Delivery is smooth and fast.

I’m partial to things monochrome from years of B&W photography and lab work, so I really like the look of the pen. White barrel, grey cap. Clear insulin chamber and a clear plunger. Even when the pen is almost empty it looks good. Both the Novo and Lilly pens won’t let you dial more than what’s left in the pen. Nice safety feature, that.

As to the juice, the Humalog is working better for me, in my body, for the moment. I don’t think for a minute that it is a superior insulin to Novolog. I used Novo for years and had good results from it until recently. Maybe my body just adapted to it or something. Who knows. I’m glad we have more than one to choose from.

How better: my excursions are lower and end faster. That’s worth the (insert favorite expleivie) $55 co-pay to me. Even though I could get the other stuff for free. Damn. But, let’s face it, the most important investment a D-folk can make is in an insulin that really works for him or her. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home