LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Thursday, January 10, 2008

A good day

It was long over-due; but I had a good day yesterday.

“Vacation” was over Monday, but my first two days back at the clinic sucked. The heavy snow and howling wind didn’t help my mood either. But yesterday was a different story.

First of all I was swamped, always a good thing for me. If I’m focusing on other people’s troubles I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I also like a busy day. I actually have more energy on a busy day. Nothing wears me out more than a day with too much time on my hands.

It was pretty much back-to-back patients yesterday, with a couple of walk in pseudo-emergencies to add flavor to the day. My building was also half full of crying babies and a constant babble of Spanish. It was WIC day (Women, Infants, and Children). I host a visit from the WIC program once per month. They help low-income women with groceries and education. Between patients I can slip out of my office and play with the babies and toddlers.

It was also a day where three patients came in to report that their blood sugars were “totally whacked.” This has lead to a new diagnosis: CWBG, short for Clinically Whacked Blood Glucose, which is characterized by crazy and vexing variations in BGL.

It was good exercise for my brain. I do like a good mystery. I do like solving difficult puzzles (so long as they aren’t jig-saw puzzles which I absolutely hate!).

Anyway, since about Thanksgiving I’ve been dealing with high cancellation and no-show rates. Too much time in the office with nothing useful to do. I was beginning to feel worthless; and even though I’m not paid much, I was beginning to feel the clinic was wasting their money to pay me to sit in my office and feel sorry for myself.

My poor guilt-ridden patients just didn’t want to come in with cookie crumbs on their chins during the Carbmass season. But they are back now, and I assured them that I had been every bit as “bad” as they had been. (Had they come they’d have seen the brownie crumbs on my keyboard.) Oh well, I guess my false image as a role model is intact. Next December I going to beg Doctors without Borders to send me to Algeria or somewhere warm where I can actually be of use for the month.

But yesterday I had numerous opportunities to practice some good medicine. To make a difference. To make people feel and be better. I felt like I had a purpose once again.

It was a very good day.

5 Comments:

Blogger ..M.. said...

Very pleased to hear you've had a good day - and long may it live!
Here's to keeping busy, having reasons to smile, and BGs that behave. Cheers :)

2:43 PM  
Blogger meanderings said...

I enjoy reading about your experiences at the clinic. Hope you continue to stay busy and healthy.

4:45 PM  
Blogger RichW said...

This is great news but these are the moments that make us complacent. I know, I sound like the glass is half empty. Well that's not my intention. You must see yourself in a different way. You have to see yourself as we see you not as you see you. I don't mean to get religious on you but it's a great analogy so I’ll use it.

As I understand it, the blood of Jesus at the crucifixion is a veil though which God sees us. Our sin (and boy you got as few, snicker snicker) is filtered out so God sees only our self minus our sin. To all of us, we see your talent, your dedication, and your contributions. We feel you have many stories to tell that the masses (even non-diabetics) would love to read.

I’m asking you to take whatever time you can to use your talents to supplement your income. I’ll help in whatever way I can and I know so many others will. I’ve suggested a book and I still believe it’s a good idea. You need to seriously consider it and use us as a sounding board. Forget what you think you can’t do or don’t have time for. We know better. We see you through your writing and it’s a great picture.

9:36 AM  
Blogger jlash said...

speaking of whacked out, last night i was 100, checked a few hours later without having eaten anything and was 220? wtf? the pump was working fine.

glad to hear things are a little brighter. i can relate to feeling better about things when i'm actually more focused on others.

keep chuggin...and thanks for writing. makes the rest of us feel like we aren't alone.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

It feels good to help people doesn't it?

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home