LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Monday, February 13, 2012

A post card from the middle-of-nowhere

Rio and I were playing with fire.

Or was the fire playing with us? Funny thing about fire, you can never be sure.

Oh. I guess I’d better give you some background. We live in the middle-of-nowhere. No really, we do. Google middle-of-nowhere and you’ll see a picture of our house. Well, somewhere in the pile of 24,700,000 Google hits for middle-of-nowhere you’ll find it.

Living in the middle-of-nowhere has its good points and its bad points. You cannot, for instance, have a pizza delivered at 11:30 at night when you live in the middle-of-nowhere. Nor can you get a cup of Starbucks without driving 83.7 miles, unless you brew it yourself. On the upside the view from the middle-of-nowhere is a view of everywhere else. And that’s a pretty awesome view, indeed.

Our cozy (code word for small) kitchen and dining room has one wall of glass looking out over mesa lands with views of the distant Sangre de Cristo mountains. Well it does during the spring, summer, and fall. Now in the winter it has a view of black. Because, when you live in the middle-of-nowhere the sun has already set by the time you get home from work or school in the winter.

So in the winter time, we try to bring back some life and warmth to our table by burning candles at dinner. Right now we have this iron rack that suspends three colored glass vases that hold tea lights.

After dinner one night a month or so ago, as we were putting out the candles, Rio and I starting talking about fire. I explained to him that like us, it breathes, eats, produces energy, and grows.

Do you think fire is alive? I asked him

“Hmmmm….” said Rio, as he thought long and hard about it. “Maybe so.”

So last night, as he blew out each candle in turn, I heard him say:

“Goodnight.” Huffff.

“We’ll light you tomorrow.” Huffff.

“See you at dinner.” Huffff.

Yeah. I know. That story has nothing to do with diabetes, and pumps, and CGM.

Or does it?

It is our gear that lets us live to share moments like this one.

Oh, and speaking of gear… bring your ear over closer. Shhhhhhh! Top secret! I can’t tell you any more about it today, but very soon I’ll be posting more. A whole lot more.

We’re going to have a brand new piece of gear coming to live with us.

And you’re going to want to read all about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Hoskins said...

I'm fascinated and intrigued, and can't wait to read all about the future device soon to be living with you! Thanks for the great read, and hope your playing with live fire doesn't lead to any burns.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Scott S said...

Sounds like the post was a teaser! Looking forward to the follow-up!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Oh, nice way to keep us reading! ;-)

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home