LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Will the fifth time be the charm?


The next thing Agent 99 wanted me to know, after filling me in on official and future replacement policies, was that she was soooooooo going to replace pump four with a brand-spanking-new one—for three reasons.

First, I should not have been sent a used pump in the first (fourth) place.

Second, because I was pissed off about the fact I was sent a used pump in the first (fourth) place.

And third, because pump 4 had racked up four motor errors, and therefore by conventional logic, was suspected of having some sort of mechanical problem (which, I gotta say, after four pumps even I’m skeptical about).

So………….


Revel the Fifth is on its way to me.

Meanwhile, could she please take a peek inside my underwear drawer?

Med-T pumps record and store a lot of data. If you choose to upload your pump to CareLink, you get all kinds of cool reports and info about your pump operations your blood sugar responses. They get a searchable gold mine of data about their product and diabetes in general. The problem is, they can’t actually find a single nugget in that pile of gold.

Not unless they have your username and password.

Then they can link you to your data.

I thought about how bad my recent blood sugars have been. Me. Mr. Diabetes Educator CGM expert guy.

My underwear is clean, but not folded, I warned Agent 99. And gave her my username and password.

I could hear her fingers rapidly clicking at her keyboard. “Hmmmmmm…..” she said. “It looks like most of the Motor Errors happen during small correction boluses.”

Yeah, I haven’t been keeping track, but that was my sense, too. I’ve had a few during meal boluses, too.

“Oh, yes, I see one of those now.”

Hey, I’m trying to remember, but I think one time I had one just out of the blue, you know with nothing but basal delivery going on. Do you see that one?

Clickly-clackity-click-clack. “Yeah, I got it. Huh. It’s not even at a rate change. Just right in the middle of nowhere.”

Even seen anything like this?

“Honestly? No. No, I haven’t.”

Next Agent 99 set up what’s called a Trace Upload—a longer, more sophisticated mating of the pump to the Med-T servers that pulls all kinds of hidden data from the belly of the little beast. It took us three tries to make it work.

But what Agent 99 really wanted to do was to recover the flight data recorder closer to the time of the crash. Come the next Motor Error (and she didn’t say IF there were another), I was to try to get to a computer within thirty minutes and call her. Unless it wasn’t between noon and 9pm Central Time, Tuesday through Saturday. Then I was to call the Helpline, ask for a member of the Green Ber… Uh… a member of the Solutions Team, and request a STAT trace upload.

Given Murphy’s Law, now that we’re ready, it’ll probably never happen again.

I confess to having mixed emotions about that. I’m sick to death of Motor Errors.

But now I’d kinda want to catch one in the act.



1 Comments:

Blogger Scott E said...

Wil, I can't wait until you publish an autobiography. This chapter would be worth the cover-price alone.

I sure hope the fine folks at Med-T find what's wrong...

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home