LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Monday, September 02, 2013

Oh, snap! No Snap for me!


I wore the final Snap body I was given as part of my review to nearly the last drop of insulin. With 2.3 units of insulin left in the penfill, and stranded in Lake Havasu, Arizona, in 117 degree heat (a long story I don’t want to talk about), I threw in the towel and got my tslim back out.

The fancy-pants touch screen pump had been placed in “stasis” weeks before to keep it from driving me bonkers alarming all the time. But now, with a potential diabetes emergency looming, I couldn’t get the little fucker to come back out of its induced coma.

Yeah. I had a backup flex pen of Humalog with me.

And, yeah, I had a vial of Novolog with at least one syringe. But clearly, this wasn’t going to be any fun.

With my iPad Mini screaming at me (in red letters) that I needed to plug in at once, and with no plug in sight, I frantically emailed SOS calls to everyone I knew at Tandem.

Of course, despite drilling the fact into all my pumping patients, it never occurred to me to just call the friggin’ helpline number on the back of the pump.

Luckily for me, my final message got through, and Craig Crease, Tandem’s chief sales dude for the Western United States, emailed instructions to my wife, who was able to reach me on my cell before it’s battery died too. He told me what to do to wake the pump back up. He also (paraphrasing) asked why the F I didn’t just call the helpline? And he was also a gentleman and restrained himself from saying it served me right for being a traitor and going off to date another pump for six weeks.

So how does it feel to be back on the Tandem after a break? Actually, not as bad as I thought it would be. Its heavier. Its slower to use for every operation. And much, much slower to load, and I have to refill it more often. On the bright side, it is a bit sexier. Would I rather be Snapping? You bet your ass I would. But that’s not to be my fate.

I tried to get my insurance to cover the Snap, but the Asante folks don’t have any relationships with New Mexico insurance plans at this time. They will “get to” me, but “it will likely not be for a bit.” Read that as a couple of years. Then they gave me the address to send the loaner controller back to.

So I’ll miss “my” Snap. It was the first pump I’ve actually liked since the CoZmo. Even though it has some faults, it is simple and fast to use, and it made my hectic, pathetic life just a tiny bit better.


But as well all know, life with diabetes sucks. And that’s all there is to it.


1 Comments:

Blogger Laddie said...

I've never met you, but you have always been high on my list of people I'd like to meet and you still are. I'm so sorry that whatever you want to call this has happened to you. I'm probably very naive in that I thought our legal system allows you to face your accuser and I don't see how a company or government agency can deny you that right. Thinking of you as you deal with this bad situation.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home