LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Monday, October 28, 2013

Giving up



I was born in Missouri. I know that they call themselves the “show me” state, but I never thought that meant that I’d be required to show the federal government that Big Mo has been part of the Union since 1821.

But apparently so, because according to the health insurance marketplace, my immigration paper work is not in order so I may not, at this time, apply for health insurance.

And, yes, I DID check the “US Citizen” button. Five times, in fact. And each time I was informed that my immigration documents could not be verified.

But that’s not the only bug I encountered in my effort to confirm that I cannot afford to buy insurance on the new Exchange (it’s called an exchange because you exchange your hard-earned cash with an insurance company for a product of dubious value). Now, apparently, my wife is married to another woman. But for all you guys out there with lesbian-sex fantasies, forget it. The woman she’s married to is herself. I’m not going to get into the potential Freudian aspect of this, but it would clearly take both a time machine an unusual personality to make that work. Still, the healthcare.gov site is convinced that my wife is married to herself and I’m married to, well, apparently, no one. So I guess I’m back on the market in at least one way.

So now what?

I have not added up the number of hours I’ve spent on this futile task, but I’ve decided to take a break. I’ll give them a month to see it they can sort it out and get this mess of a website working.

I know that my health insurance goes away December 31. And I know that, on the face of it anyway, it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to afford to replace it, even if I could sign up for it. But you know what? Even though it seems like just the other day it was summer, right now two months sounds like a long time away. I’m putting this off.

The future will hold what stresses it may, and I’m out of energy to deal with it. Maybe next time I try to sign up, my wife won’t be married to herself and I’ll have two wives.

Hey, with this computer system, it really could happen.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Colleen said...

Not to be rude but...
It sure seems like if something can go wrong, you find it.
Your new insurance woes are amazing and annoying.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Scott E said...

Keep trying. With all the bugs in the system, eventually you're bound to stumble upon the one where doctor visits are free and they pay YOU $1000 for every new box of sensors...

5:07 PM  
Blogger Scott S said...

While my perspective is ACA is an equal rights issue for people with chronic medical conditions like diabetes, there is no denying the issues with the national site which is running the exchanges for all of the red states (and a few blue ones, too) that chose not to run their own exchanges. The problems are a PITA, but eventually they'll be resolved. I'm guessing the beta tests were never conducted, although the news suggests that's because the lawsuits challenging ACA threatened funding and it wasn't started as soon as it needed to be. The take-away is you should keep trying. By the way, today the news came out that you'll have 6 more weeks to enroll.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Bernard said...

I think they need to pay you as an official Healthcare.gov tester.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home