LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Diabetes Heaven

As diabetes is practically a religion anyway (we have rituals, rites of passage, arcane knowledge, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of prayer); I think we deserve our own special afterlife.

I submit we deserve Diabetic Valhalla.

Now for those of you who didn’t know, Viking heaven was called Valhalla. As I recall it involved fighting all day and at the end of each day Valkyries resurrected the day’s dead and everyone went back to the great hall for feasting and orgies. Next day it happened all over again and so on. Well, the nights sound pretty good. I’m not too sure about all the blood, dismemberment, and dying during the day….I think we D-folk have had enough of that in this world; we don’t need any more in the afterlife.

So I’m picturing Diabetic Valhalla like this: we’ll feast on carbs all day and sleep hypo-free at night. Our bodies will be healthy and complication free without so much as a pimple.

Once a month we’ll gather at a bonfire and cast our meters, pumps, syringes, lancets, and log books into it. And the Valkyries will resurrect our stuff so we can burn it again next month.

What’d ya think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Sign me up!!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use my cell phone alarm to remind me to remind my son to take his Lantus every evening. And I have it set to remind me again an hour later to check up on him & make sure he actually took it. Verizon used to have a download (no airtime) nutrition database, but no longer. There might be a Calorie King app that uses airtime, but I give Verizon enough of my money, so we just use a book to look up carbs. All this stuff should be built into a cell phone. (In Korea there is a cell phone/glucose meter.) My son is starting on the Omnipod in a couple of weeks & people ask if I'm afraid he'll lose track of the PDM, but he never loses track of his cell phone!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Scott S said...

Sounds good!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home