LifeAfterDx--Diabetes Uncensored

A internet journal from one of the first T1 Diabetics to use continuous glucose monitoring. Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico, United States

Hi! I’m William “Lee” Dubois (called either Wil or Lee, depending what part of the internet you’re on). I’m a diabetes columnist and the author of four books about diabetes that have collectively won 16 national and international book awards. (Hey, if you can’t brag about yourself on your own blog, where can you??) I have the great good fortune to pen the edgy Dear Abby-style advice column every Saturday at Diabetes Mine; write the Diabetes Simplified column for dLife; and am one of the ShareCare diabetes experts. My work also appears in Diabetic Living and Diabetes Self-Management magazines. In addition to writing, I’ve spent the last half-dozen years running the diabetes education program for a rural non-profit clinic in the mountains of New Mexico. Don’t worry, I’ll get some rest after the cure. LifeAfterDx is my personal home base, where I get to say what and how I feel about diabetes and… you know… life, free from the red pens of editors (all of whom I adore, of course!).

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Calling all Tiger tamers

The “Free Tiger” project is going pretty well, thanks to all of you in the social media space. But now we enter phase 2 -- more tongues. Tiger is in English and Spanish. I’m working with a German diabetes advocate to translate and adapt it into his language and culture. Any of you advocates out there speak two languages well enough to help me start filling in other gaps in the tower of Bable?

According to the World Health Organization, these are the top ten countries for diabetes:

India
China
USA
Indonesia
Japan
Pakistan
Russia
Brazil
Italy
Bangladesh

I’m looking for folks who can translate not just words, but message and intent as well. I’ve just started reading Rio a fresh translation of Jules Vern’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I’ve always regarded the novel as technically interesting, but a ponderous book in the literary sense. Now it turns out I was the victim of bad translation. Vern was as brilliant a writer as he was a technologic visionary. He is a joy to read.

Any of you out there feel called to help me take this message to our brothers and sisters who talk, read, and think in other tongues?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bernard Farrell said...

Wil I volunteer to translate it into 'proper' English for you!

Examples: color becomes colour; schedule -> schedule (pronounced shedule).

Let me know when you want me to start. :-)

10:50 AM  
Blogger George said...

I can hardly speak English so I am not able to help that way BUT I can help spread the word and post links whenever stuff is ready!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home